Know Your Tax-A 2 Day Training Programme
November 23 @ 08:00 - November 24 @ 17:00ZMW1,950
The Know Your Taxes Training Course is designed to equip companies with knowledge on corporate taxation. Participants will hear from our speakers on general tax obligations that companies need to observe, key Budget 2018 changes affecting companies, common tax schemes, e.g. WHT on VAT for VAT registered companies. Participants will also learn how to prepare a tax computation and file an Income Tax Return electronically, in line with the ZRA regulations.
Companies not represented by tax agents are strongly encouraged to attend the course. Where applicable, practical examples, illustrations and case studies will be used to enable participants to relate and apply to real life tax situations.
The topics covered in this workshop would be relevant to any professional who is concerned with the bottom line (i.e. profit after tax) of his organisation.
Session 1: Honourable Felix Mutati Minister of Finance
- Budget 2018 Key Changes-What’s Your Stake?
- Official Launch of Know Your Taxes Training Course
Session 2: Introduction to Know your Taxes Course
- Introduction & overview of the course
- Basic tax concepts-Direct & Indirect Taxes
- Tax entities
- Year of assessment and basis period
- Tax residence
Session 3: Focus on Value Added Tax (VAT) & Developments on WHT on VAT
- Describe the way in which VAT operates, particularly in respect of output tax and input tax, in such a way that it remains neutral in its application by businesses.
- Identify how VAT applies to international transactions of both goods and services and how the system allows for neutrality by ensuring that imports and exports are neither advantaged nor disadvantaged over domestic supplies.
- Discuss how VAT works within the SADC’s free market.
- Explain the impact of exemption in VAT and how tax is calculated by businesses that deal in exempt supplies.
- Explain WHT on VAT and the way it’s been administered by ZRA
- Categorize some of the more important administrative issues that VAT requires
Session 4: Brief Overview- Structure of the VAT return
Session 5: Case study, work through one VAT exercise-discussion, questions
- VAT Return common mistakes made by businesses
- WHT Accounting Treatment
Session 6: Case study, group work exercise-discussion, applications
Session 7: Red Flags-VAT Tax returns
Session 7: Focus on Income Tax-An overview of Corporation Tax
- Taxable Income and tax liability
- Relief for unabsorbed trade losses, capital allowances & donations
- Dividends & distributions of corporate profits
- One-tier corporate tax system
Session 8: Brief Overview- Structure of the Income Tax return
- Provisional Tax Returns
- Annual Income Tax
- Income Tax Liability-Accounting Treatment
Session 9: Case study 1, tax computation-discussion, questions
- Income Tax Returns Common Mistakes made by businesses
- Income Tax Returns-the link with VAT and other Tax Returns
Session 10: Case study 2, group work exercise-discussion, applications-
- Identify the 12 common errors made on the return
- Why is this company exposed to an audit
Session 11: Red Flags-Income tax Returns
END OF PROGRAMME